CompuSale Computer Show review

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 22:01:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, James Knott wrote:

> One way to get around that, is to go on Friday, with a coupon that,
> along with a business card, gets you in for free. However, the show's
> nowhere near what it used to be years ago.  When I first started going,

After finishing my Linux intro talks (I did one each day) a couple of
people made the same comment to me.

> ComputerFest was held down on Queen's Quay and there was a lot of CP/M
> and S-100 bus stuff.  The Radio Shack Color Computer was a new product!

Ah memories.  I used to run OS-9 on the CoCo.  It is a somewhat Unix like
real-time OS.  It still exists as OS-9000.

>   I bought my first copy of OS/2 at a ComputerFest.  In it's earlier
> years, it was quite interesting and you could learn a lot.  Now, it just
> seems to be a search for the lowest price.  At least they still have the
> chocolate and peanut covered ice cream.  ;-)

I recall reading that Linus Torvalds remarked a couple of years ago that
the only serious Linux events left were Linux.conf.au and the Ottawa Linux
Symposium.  Others may disagree but I think there is no doubt many
computer events have become very light.

> However, with all those non-computer items being sold, I'm beginning to
> feel the show's overpriced, even with free admission.  :-(

I felt the presence of the non-computer stuff was odd, and I thought
maybe another event was sharing the hall :)

On the plus side I spoke to quite a few people after my talks who
indicated the intention to start using Linux.  I recommended joining
the TLUG list to quite a few people.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.