CompuSale Computer Show review

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 28 15:32:58 UTC 2004

I was out at the CompuSale Computer Show and in summary I was not all that
impressed.

I took the TTC out to the show, and logistically that was fine, there is a
TTC stop right by the International Centre, however under the deal the TTC
has with the City of Mississauga anyone who goes beyond the airport on a TTC
bus must pay a second transit fare, so getting out and back to the show set
me back $4.50 (on top of my already bought Metro Pass). Then there was
admission, which even with the discount coupon I had with me was $6, in
other words I out $10.50 just to get in the door (grumble). Part of the show
was devoted to direct marketing people, with some cosmetics firms, and
cooking equipment firms (the former I have ZERO interest in, the latter my
interest is ... somewhat limited). The direct marketing people did
noticeably dilute the focus of the show. Still I did pick-up something that
will be a gift for a cousin (some clearance Windows software (yes, I will
plan to toss in a Knoppix disk with the Windows software)). I also found an
excellent deal on DVD drives, and I got one. I ran into  Robert Brockway
T.L.U.G.'s speaker co-ordinator and chatted for several minutes. Robert was
I gather doing an intro. to Linux talk that I missed. I also entered several
draws, so who knows something may come of one of those (I could win anything
from $150 worth of kitchen gadgets to a new computer).

Did see that the Red Flag Deals website had a small booth. For those who
have not seen it Red Flag Deals (http://www.redflagdeals.com/) tracks firms
in Canada and tells who is offering discount deals on what. Given the
website's technical readership a significant percentage of the deals listed
are for computer equipment, so yes I try to visit the site every 2-3 days
:-) . Any event the Red Flag Deals booth was offering coupons for other
booths.

I still have some fond memories of my Commodore 64, so it was fun to see
T.P.U.G. (Toronto Pet User Group) had a small booth at the show, that group
is now in it's 25th year, and they are looking forward to "The World of
Commodore" show next week (yes I am serious). Also (even more strange) the
Commodore 64 has returned to production (sort of) as the URL below notes.
The woman responsible for that return from the dead of the Commodore 64 is
one Jeri Ellsworth and she will be a guest speaker at "World of Commodore".

Here is a description of the new Commodore 64:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tulip.com%2Fnews%2Farticle.asp%3Fnid%3D145&lp=nl_en

Here is a look at the Jeri Ellsworth iron (well, soldering iron) in hand:

http://www.geocities.com/dickestel/images/expo21.jpg

Still, bottom line the people who did "CompuSale Computer Show" plan to do
another similar show in March and I have no plans to attend...

Colin McGregor