General Q about USB and Firewire adaptors

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 24 04:25:44 UTC 2004

  I have two not-so-new computers at home which, if I select the
appropriate option in the BIOS, will optionally support USB 1.1 as well
as the standard USB 1.0.  Gentoo USB support goes as low as USB 1.1, so
my trailing-edge machines can talk to my new USB2+firewire external
drive... very slowly.  A big backup becomes an overnight job.

  I'm seriously thinking of getting a PCI-based adaptor card with USB2
and firewire ports.  Are there any boobytraps?  The adaptor will first
go into my 450 mhz, 128 megs ram, Dell, which refuses to die.  I bought
it in September of 1999.

  What are your real-life experiences like with PCI adaptor cards?  I'll
probably want both types of ports in one kit, just to cover my bases.
Different eripherals will be showing up with only one type of connector.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.