Problem accessing external USB HD from Gentoo

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 24 03:47:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:20:36AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Well for usb-storage you need scsi disk support enabled, and the

  Done... but no SCSI drives appear.

> /dev/uba is only for the new (currently broken it seems) usb-storage
> system driver.

  I finally got it working in "coldplug" mode (i.e. drive connected and
turned on at bootup) with the following incantation.  I've turned it
into a script to save me some typing.

#!/bin/bash
mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/usbdrive/

  But no luck with hotplugging.

  PS, I went and rebuilt my kernel without any SCSI support at all, and
the USB drive still works.  BTW it's a combo USB/Firewire.  I'm going to
have to buy myself a PCI card with a firewire hub.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.