Proxy Configuration (Console)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 20:22:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:58:26PM -0500, Brian K. Garel wrote:
> Does anyone know how to set console tools (ftp, et al) to use a proxy
> server on a corporate lan?
>
> I've been reading a bit about it here and all roads are pointing to do
> some really (scary for me) kernel recompiling.  Is there an easier way
> of doing this?
>
> If needed I'm using DSL Linux (Damn Small Linux) which is based on Debian

For those tools that support proxies (and just like on windows and other
OSs, not every tool does), usually HTTP_PROXY or something like it as a
variable works.  There should be a similar variable for HTTPS and FTP.
Of course many also allow options on the command line on in the config
for the tool, but the environment variable is pretty handy and
universal.

Lennart Sorensen