which Linux distro would run on a 486 or a pentium 200 (even with MMX)

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 15:16:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:04:11 -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org <cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You may want something a bit more powerful than that in in that playing
> MP3s is pretty close to chewing up the CPU power of a 200MHz system.

I have to disagree on this.  I have very fond memories of running WinAMP on
P200 machines at school with little to no noticeable detriment to
system performance.

Now, if you were running it on Win3.1 with too small an audio buffer, Word might
decided to cause chunky audio.  But a Linux box should be fine
(particulalry headless
using mpg123).

IIRC the borderline for MP3 ability is the 486/586 line.  To keep it
from skipping on
a really borderline system you may have to give it realtime priority, though.

--
taa
/*eof*/