which Linux distro would run on a 486 or a pentium 200 (even with MMX)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 04:58:53 UTC 2004

Simon Tonekham wrote:

> I was just wondering, which linux distro would run on a 486 with 4 to
> 8MB of RAM with 1GB hard drive or maybe a Pentium 200 (even with MMX
> technology) with 16MB of RAM and 2GB hard drive.

> What is your suggestion?

try DSL
www.damnsmalllinux.org
It's a live "bootable" linux, that you can try on your creaky old
hardware without any installation comittment. It uses knoppix as a base
(great hardware detection) and comes with a suite of lightweight apps,
is <50 meg (3" CDable) and has been known to run on 486s
If you like it, you can easily install it to the HD and, voila ! Debian
system

djp