which Linux distro would run on a 486 or a pentium 200 (even with MMX)

SlackRat ab460-0l1pH2CMacvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 03:09:22 UTC 2004

Jing Su <jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I personally recommend SLACKWARE.

I agree wholeheartedly - I use slackware-current mostly CLI but have fluxbox
for when I really need X

> I'd have to say that pretty much everything runs smoothly with the
> exception of Mozilla/Firefox.  Actually, even Netcape 4.7 runs really slow
> on it.  I wouldn't recommend going back to an even older browser, since
> anything older likely won't support features that you're normally used to.

I was using FireFox, but the latest version 1.0 prerelease, I think, (patched
already) is the pits and as a matter of fact I just dumped firefox and went
back to Opera.

It's a bit of a culture shock, admittedly, but at least I can do whatever I
like with the bookmarks and I simply love the built in RSS reader.

It suits my way of working and the uses to which I put my main box anyway and
for speed the Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox brigade simply cannot compete

--
Slackrat