which Linux distro would run on a 486 or a pentium 200 (even with MMX)

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 02:02:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:50:33 -0500, Simon Tonekham
<simon_128-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I was just wondering, which linux distro would run on a 486 with 4 to 8MB of
> RAM with 1GB hard drive or maybe a Pentium 200 (even with MMX technology)
> with 16MB of RAM and 2GB hard drive. The reason that I'm asking this is that
> I want to know if older machines could run Linux depending on the distro and
> can be capable of surfing the internet and doing work processing tasks.
Debian is your best bet .  As a general purpose distribution that does
not leave anyone (any old hardware) behind .  If you are using it for
limited server tasks then there is likely a specialized Linux distro
for the hardware and the task .

> In
> my opinion, If I want something substancal for example playing music files,
> I have to get a bigger system like a pentium 2, 3 or 4. Currently, I have a
> P4 Computer with 256MB of RDRAM, 30GB Hard Drive (planning to upgrade to 80
> or 120GB hard drive by the end of the year) and my computer is currently
> running Windows XP Professional with SP2 ('i'm going to dual boot with
> Fedora Core 3 by the end of next year, just to try out with Linux.
>
> What is your suggestion?

You can try a liveCD today !  -- allows you to run Linux from the
CD-Rom .  MEPIS seems to be a winner .

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd