"Linux" motherboard

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 22 00:04:57 UTC 2004

phil wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2004, at 6:22 PM, Anton Markov wrote:
>
>> All the real features of my board work correctly [...]
>

> That suggests going for plain K8V/K8N style boards rather than "deluxe"
> and then adding 3rd party stuff if you happen to need some feature (e.g.
> raid).  Is that the idea?

Figure out what you want first. The best way to get ripped off is to not
know what you want, what you can efford, and which features are you
willing to compromise. If you can't figure out what you want, what you
want specifically, maybe you don't need to buy anything at all. :)

Once you know that, look for boards that support your features, then do
a <http://www.google.com/linux> search for the specific chipsets the
board uses, and see if people report any problems. Try
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/>. Also look at a distro's
compatability list (a commercial distro like SuSE has a good
compatability list). Since it's the kernel that supports devices,
usually if it works on one distro, it can be made to work on all (watch
for Winmodems and other weird "hardware").

>>  I would like to know if _any other_ motherboard manufacturer
>> "supports" GNU/Linux according to the definition in that article.
>

> Yes, that *was* the question.  :-)

I know, I was sort of emphasizing it. Anyways, I was just upset about
how negative that article was, especially about such a neutral company
as Asus (they support both Intel and AMD). I am not attacking the
messanger (you).

P.S. If you do a search for "linux" on the Asus support pages, you'll
find they do support some Linux drivers.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***