Manipulation DAT tapes on linux

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 19 19:15:18 UTC 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 01:40, JM wrote:

> hmm.. the tape says? 20G for uncompressed and 40G for compressed...
>
> does this mean doing tar -zcf /dev/st0 is the 40G?
> or
> i have to activate the compression and let the drive its job?

Disable hardware compression, use software compression.  You'll be able to put
somewhat less than 20GB of compressed tarballs onto the tape.

Also I always use /dev/nst[0-9], I like to be sure the tape isn't going to
rewind on me when I don't want it to (just in case I plan to lay another file
on there).