SUSE Linux ?

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 19 16:59:38 UTC 2004

> Seriously, I need to dual boot into W95 and whenever I config something in
> it it does in the bios clock thing. I hope I fixed it now on the Linux
> side (it checks and resets TZ and everything on reboot). There is no help
> in sight on the other side.

Basically, all variants of Windows insist on storing LOCAL TIME in the
BIOS clock.  However, most Linux distros prefer setting the BIOS clock to
UTC time, to make timezone setting (and daylight savings adjustments)
easier to account for.

If you want the clock to stay "human readable" for both Linux and Windows,
you will want to set the BIOS clock to LOCAL TIME instead of UTC time.

Here's a web-page that describes how to set Linux to use LOCAL TIME.
http://www.linuxsa.org.au/tips/time.html
Note that this is different than setting your locale.  Linux usually uses
UTC time in the BIOS, and then adjusts it based on locale to give you a
human-readable time.

I'm sure you can find more resources about it on the web. :)
That link above is RedHat oriented... in Gentoo the /sbin/hwclock call is
located in /etc/init.d/clock.

-Jing