devfs/hotplug not working

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 18 01:21:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, JoeHill wrote:

> Anyhow, I say on another list that I'm supposed to have an entry:
>
> /etc/init.d/hotplug
>
> ...which I don't. Maybe that's why the Visor isn't being picked up?

That file should exist. The hotplug mechanism works as follows: kernel
sees hotplug event, then it executes the script set in hotplug:

/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug usually yields /sbin/hotplug which is a
script that you can read. It should be executable. F.ex. on knoppix he
script is called /sbin/hotplug-knoppix but /sbin/hotplug also exists.

The setup is done by /etc/init.d/hotplug but some systems (like knoppix)
it is handled by /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and /etc/init.d/hotplug
is never called. So the complete answer is, it depends on what you run.

Try this:

grep /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug /etc/init.d/*

This should yield a list of files that tamper with the hotplug setup.

hope this helps,

Peter