Asking opinions on ad management programs

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 18:28:17 UTC 2004

Life is strange at times. I have been without work for a few months yet
yesterday I was offered opportunities to work with two prior employers
in one day :-).

Ironically, the theme for needs for both clients is quite similar. Both
have websites on which they expect their income to come through
placing ads. I advised them that they really should have ad
management programs integrated with their websites. Both run
on Linux/Unix accounts and both have had programmers using PHP
and MySQL for database management.

One client has one website of interest with the topic of information
on wood from around the world. The other has a series of websites
with a much broader target of sectors with an interest in accepting
almost any topic.

Have any of you had recent experience or opinions on the many
ad management programs?

Unless there are compelling reasons for needed features on
program that require payment, we might as stay with open systems
programs/scripts with their wonderful price of $0. I would pick PHP
written scripts over others although there is no formal reason others
could not be used ---- again, if there were advantages to using them
(eg. Perl, Python?).

I thought it prudent to open a discussion on what the latest is on
ad management. Some of the criteria would include:

	- is the install clean and easy? Could I do the installation
	  and configuration myself? We would have to find in both
	  cases if the web hosts would allow the programs to run.

	- How easy is it to use for minimal computer, none technical
	  people to use? How user friendly is it?

	- How many features does it offer?

	- What degree of automation and integration does it offer?
	  That can vary from package to package. Some will even
	   link to an accounting system, some not for instance.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Bill Mudry
Mississauga