72 inch wrap. Was: A Couple of Incoherent Questions

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 04:14:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:44:43 -0500, Bill Mudry <billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> >Now did you ever hear that thing about wrapping lines at around 72
> >characters or so, for those people using 80 character displays? :)
>
> Hope you don't mind my asking, Lennart. How prevalent are 80 character
> displays these days anyways? With the high res displays many people
> have I would have thought that they would be largely a thing of the past.
> I use a resolution of 1280 x 1024.
>
> Sure wish they put character rulers in email clients.I don't relish literally
> counting out 72 characters each time I want to write a message to either
> list. Hmm <chuckle> maybe I should literally measure how much that is
> in inches with an actual ruler. That would be faster than counting ;-).
> Isn't there a point at which old standards are eventually abandoned in the
> Linux world? That 72 character wrap goes waaay back.

See an archived thread , specifically the post
	From: 	  taavi
	Subject: 	Re: [TLUG]: Why wrap @ 80?
	Date: 	April 23, 2004 23:35:10 PDT
Because it's easier to read.  With more than about 66 characters to a
line, your eyes start to have trouble flipping from one side of the
paragraph to the other.
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/8172>

That post and that discussion of this topic on this list is my fav ,
but it has also be been discussed many other times ;-)

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd