72 inch wrap. Was: A Couple of Incoherent Questions

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 03:44:43 UTC 2004

>Now did you ever hear that thing about wrapping lines at around 72
>characters or so, for those people using 80 character displays? :)

Hope you don't mind my asking, Lennart. How prevalent are 80 character
displays these days anyways? With the high res displays many people
have I would have thought that they would be largely a thing of the past.
I use a resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Sure wish they put character rulers in email clients.I don't relish literally
counting out 72 characters each time I want to write a message to either
list. Hmm <chuckle> maybe I should literally measure how much that is
in inches with an actual ruler. That would be faster than counting ;-).
Isn't there a point at which old standards are eventually abandoned in the
Linux world? That 72 character wrap goes waaay back.