A Couple of Incoherent Questions

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 17:30:19 UTC 2004

Brian K. Garel wrote:

> Eventually I
>started wanting more from my little linux box so I installed Fedora Core
>2.

Maybe you would have been better off to start with a DSL HD install, and
add what you want via "apt-get install faveprogram". (DSL is debian)

>anyway, when I checked this out further
>apparently (from my limited understanding of the universe) X windows is
>now different than Xorg or something like that???????

AFAIK, (I'm likely to have this muddled) Xorg is a fork of XFree86 that
resulted from years of unresponsive development capped by an unsavory
licensing proposal. Most distros , and right-thinking citizens, have
moved on over to Xorg, which is enjoying brisk development an closer
alignment with the vision at Freedesktop.org. They are both still
implementations of "X windows"

>Once I have this all figured out then I'll ask you about the stupid
>little Lucent Win Modem that I have in this thing!  ;)

www.linmodems.org
If you can't find a solution there, get a (USR ?) pc card modem !
djp