Mandrake Aqusision

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 05:51:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 00:10 -0500, Paul King wrote:
> Version 10.1 appears to be what is listed at that web site.
>
> At that website, I didn't see anything for 80 euro

I see it.
http://store.mandrakesoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=160&osCsid=45df8065eb7cabe85ba9129675bfb701

> except that there was an el-
> cheapo version ("Discovery") selling for about 45 euro ($69 CDN).

It's not meant to be 'el cheapo'.  It's meant to be a beginner's
desktop.  Installation is just a few steps: not many options.  KDE
desktop only.  The menus have only one of each type of application, and
are named by task rather than by (usually cryptic) application name, and
a few other pleasantries.  People *asked* for this.

> The SOHO-enabled version called "Powerpack" is 199 euro (that's $309 CDN --
> ouch!).

That's the "powerpack+".  It's no more SOHO-capable than the regular
Powerpack, except that you get a better Administrator's Guide.  It's
main advantage is a DVD with an insane number of packages and some free
support services.

All of those apps are available online by urpmi though.  Just not the
DVD ISO.

> Threre is nothing described on that page that would be described as
> overtly proprietary (although there maybe a SUN Java compiler or something). It
> just has OpenOffice, and Mozilla as the browser. But what I mean to suggest is
> that there are no full commercial applications that are listed on the web page.

The powerpack (and +) both come with a bunch of proprietary stuff...
NVidia and ATI, Real, Java JRE, Acrobat, Flash, etc.  Stuff that can't
be distributed on the mirrors (by policy).

Austin