Linux uses less power than Windows?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 03:51:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

>      * A modern desktop PC or lightly loaded server spends most of its
> time waiting for the next interrupt. Interrupts come from timer ticks,
> keystrokes, mouse motion, or data ready on a disk, modem, or network. In
> the Microsoft system, the CPU "idles" at full speed and full power
> during this wait time. When Linux is idle, the CPU halts in a low power
> state.

Believe it or not this one is true, but only for MS-Windows98 or earlier.
Linux and MS-WinNT family use a special opcode (called IDLE or HALT,
forgotten right now) while MS-Win98, MS-Win95, etc use a "busy wait".
Busy wait keeps the CPU hotter (one person reported a 10C difference a few
years ago).

>      * The Linux file system and memory management are more efficient
> than Microsoft's, so the same application program runs with a lot less
> disk activity.

Honestly I think it would have a lot more to do with the purposes the box
was being put to.  A fileserver will use more energy regardless of its OS.

>      * Most Microsoft boxes directly connected to the Internet are
> infected with spyware and trojans, and loaded with programs that are
> supposed to defend against those things, which generate more activity
> than the intentional software. Linux is pretty much immune to that stuff.

Seems pretty marginal to me.

So I'd score the article 0.5 out of 3 :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.