zombies (was different)

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 02:33:39 UTC 2004

> The trick is having a process around in the first place, and you have to know
> what processes to kill (i.e. the parent of the zombies).

Why it happens in the first place that zombies occur?

I have the problem at my work. When a script is run from shell, it works
fine. But when it is run as a cron job (FC 2) it sometimes lefts as a
zombie. One time that resulted in machine being non responsive because
zombies took its entire memory resources. We have no clue however what
causes the problem and googling is not helpfull. Any ideas?  BTW, the
same scripts did not cause problems on some earlier versions of OS (I
think it was Red Had).

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Toronto, Canada, http://www.softquake.ca, info-lcEyp1+e+UdAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org