Linux uses less power than Windows?

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 01:42:35 UTC 2004

This would be *really* easy to verify. Plug the CPU box into clip-on ammeter
such as available from Active Electronics (or any appliance repair person)
and look at the current when running Windows and Linux. If you have a
dual-boot system that would be perfect, because it is then identially the
same hardware. You'd have to take readings over a period of time and then
average the current draw.

Mind you, most of the people on this list wouldn't let their Windows
machine get infected, so that point could not be verified.

If there is strong interest from the list on this, I have the necessary
equipment to try it.

However, as far as I'm aware, my Windows partition is not infected (and I'm
not willing to infect it in the interest of scientific enquiry, either ;).
One of the advantages of sticking with W95, and refusing to buy any more
Windows crud.

Peter

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:26:03PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>
> > -- So, could there be even a grain of truth in this? I'm thinking no,
> > or at very best, "it depends".
>

> Makes perfect sense to me. Multiply that by (2% of ?) all the computers
> out there, you got yourself some wattage.
> djp

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,