Linux uses less power than Windows?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 00:49:55 UTC 2004

The following story turned up on TalkEnergy:
<http://www.talkenergy.com/article.pl?sid=04/11/13/1229220&mode=thread&tid=33>

"Cameron Spitzer writes "I've observed that a PC running Linux uses
significantly less energy than one running Microsoft Windows. There seem
to be at least three reasons.

     * A modern desktop PC or lightly loaded server spends most of its
time waiting for the next interrupt. Interrupts come from timer ticks,
keystrokes, mouse motion, or data ready on a disk, modem, or network. In
the Microsoft system, the CPU "idles" at full speed and full power
during this wait time. When Linux is idle, the CPU halts in a low power
state.
     * The Linux file system and memory management are more efficient
than Microsoft's, so the same application program runs with a lot less
disk activity.
     * Most Microsoft boxes directly connected to the Internet are
infected with spyware and trojans, and loaded with programs that are
supposed to defend against those things, which generate more activity
than the intentional software. Linux is pretty much immune to that stuff.

You don't have to install Linux any more to try it on your PC. There are
plenty of "Live CD" demonstrators now. "

-- So, could there be even a grain of truth in this? I'm thinking no, or
at very best, "it depends".

cheers,
  Stewart