lunuxcaffe; logo contest - mystery font

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 13 18:12:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:29:00 -0500, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 02:17:13PM -0800, Lloyd D Budd wrote

> > > Or you
> > > can compile programs to all use the same shared libraries.  In that case,
> > > you're down to lowest-common-denominator builds.  And you *MUST* have
> > > the same or almost the same critical libraries as the machine the
> > > software was built on.
> > Well , in some ways this is the point of a distribution .
> > All programs using the same well tested "libraries" .  The
> > nature of OSS -- and demonstrated by Gentoo -- is also that
> > lowest-common-denominator is often easy to make "high" .
>
>   The PC myth... they all look alike to programs.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I trust you are not implying that I suggested that myth .  As you
suggested different major versioned libraries can often be used for an
app .  Often an OSS app can be updated to be able to use a recent
major version of lib .

> If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Interesting defination of "done right" .  What is the benefit ?  The
cost is definite : computer availability/responsiveness , real world
energy - electricity , bandwidth , and one more thing to debug if I
run into problems .

> Who do you think is going to produce 256
> highly-tuned binaries "just right" so there's something for everybody's
> machine, for free?
Only 256 , look how many distributions are there .  If there is any
real world gain , many distributions have an option for each of the
most common configurations .

> > > This is where "DLL-hell" comes from.  The shared DLL model creates
> > > dependencies; doesn't matter if it's Windows or linux.
> > I thought different library versions can often co-exist under Linux --
> > o , that is obvious because of how Gentoo "works" ;-)
>
>   Yes, they can co-exist, thanks to Gentoo slots.  But you're defeating
> the whole purpose of *SHARED* DLL's by having multiple versions on disk
> and in memory.

Thanks to Gentoo slots ;-)  I was suggesting that if distro needs
multiple versions , it is an option .  I was not suggesting that any
Linux distro is lazy and would extensively take advantage of this
option .

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd