lunuxcaffe; logo contest - mystery font

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 13 15:48:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 01:29 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> If you're willing to forget about 386's and
> 486's, you can build for i586's, like Mandrake.  Going to i686 breaks
> on early Pentiums and, more importantly, AMD K6 cpus.  And there are
> quite a few linux-hobbyists running AMD cpus.  And we haven't even begun
> to talk about the really fun optimiztions like "MMX" and "3DNOW" which
> may be vendor-specific.

Mandrakelinux also uses *runtime* detection for i686 and MMX/SSE for
certain apps where it is advantageous, like glibc and some video
encoding tools.  The library loader chooses to load the more optimized
version of the library if appropriate.

Also, some apps themselves use *runtime* detection of these processor
features, including mplayer.  It's too bad more apps don't do that.  It
makes everyone's life much easier.

> > I thought different library versions can often co-exist under Linux --

Depends how you package them.  Using Debian/Mandrake lib system, yes,
it's easy.  All library packages have an SO version.  The way
SuSe/RedHat name their rpms, not so easy, but still possible.

We certainly need multiple versions of things like wxWindows, libdb,
gtkhtml, etc.

Austin