Hardware modem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 12 22:19:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:50:27PM -0500, Paul DiRezze wrote
> So I went up to Union Computer today and they convinced me to buy another
> AOpen modem -- the FM56-PX .  They assured me it would work - no problems.
>
> Turns out this is a hardware modem but I still can't get it to
> work.  I  don't know enough about assigning memory addresses and interrupts.
>
> So now I'm 0 for 2.
>
> I'm just gonna go get the USR or Gentech tomorrow.
>
> I gotta say, it really sucks that this should be a simple thing and for
> Linux it still isn't.
>
> Thanks to everyone for all the help.

  Try running wvdialconf (installing it if necessary).  It managed to
figure out the correct settings for me on a USR PCI modem that I couldn't
get working manually.  BTW, what does "cat /proc/pci" show?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did