Connecting to Sympatico via modem on Linux

Paul DiRezze pdirezze-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 12 20:06:34 UTC 2004

>Well I've been using wvdial for awhile now.  A few months ago Sympatico
>changed something at my access point and I had to set "Stupid Mode = 1" in
>my wvdial configuration.
>
>Lifted from "man wvdial.conf":
>
>>Stupid Mode
>>When wvdial is in Stupid Mode, it does not attempt to interpret any
>>prompts from the terminal server.  It starts pppd immediately after the
>>modem connects.  Apparently there are ISP’s that actually give you a
>>login prompt, but work only if you start PPP, rather than logging in.  Go
>>figure.  Stupid Mode is (naturally) disabled by default.

It looks as if Fedora uses wvdial because wvdial.conf has all of my dad's
sympatico info there.  I got it working from a terminal windows and the
pppd came back with return code 19 (unable to authenticate).  I'll call my
dad this afternoon to verify his Sympatico userID and password.

Thanks for the help.

paul