Hardware modem

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 12 15:48:21 UTC 2004

Had a go with the SuSE package for winmodem support but it is not as
straightforward to install as I thought... I will have some more work to
do before it's operational.

It's a shame what the modem makers have done in stripping their devices of
their real modem features to end up with simplistic cards that do almost
nothing apart from dealing with electrical signals ohn a comms line!

If upgradeability was the reason to use software to implement the modem
protocol, I find the older-technology "flash memory" upgradable US
Robotics units a much better design, and they worked with any operating
system. Absolutely worth the extra money.

Is anyone using a LAN modem with Linux?

 François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>