6 men and Bell Canada

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 12 00:11:05 UTC 2004

 Tuesday night, I walked from Christie Station south along Grace Street to
Harbord.

At Harbord, I asked a gentleman about cafes in the neighbourhood.

He said that he didn't know of any anywhere close to Harbord and Grace.

I walked west to 326 Harbord.

326 Harbord is the Bickford Park.

I walked further west, asking in variety stores and pubs about Linux Caffe,
previously known as Caffe Bickford.

No one had heard of it.

At Ossington, Harbord ended.

At Ossington, I used a pay-phone to call Bell Canada information (411),
and asked about Linux Caffe, previously Caffe Bickford.

Bell Canada Information said that there was no such thing,
either Caffe Bickford, or Cafe Bickford, or The Bickford Caffe,
or any such name, and, that, furthermore,
there was no such place as Linux Cafe, Linux Caffe, Cafe Linux,
Caffe Linux, etc. anywhere in Toronto or neighbouring cities,
such as Mississauga, Pickering, Aurora, Newmarket, Oakville, Oshawa,
Markham, Thornhill, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Maple, Brampton, etc.

I could tell that she was getting tired from me asking so many questions
and taking so many minutes,
but I really thought that the place existed.

6 men accumulated in a cafe, named Harbord Street Cafe, or similar,
frustrated at being unable to find Linux Caffe.

5 of us walked over to the Galbraith Builing at U. of Toronto,
and found the old meeting place totally empty,
with a sign on the room's door directing us to 326 Harbord Street.

Does this Linux Caffe actually exist ?

What is its telephone number ?

What colour is the building ?

Does the building have a sign:
- Caffe Bickford ?
- The Bickford Cafe ?
- The Linux Caffe ?

How many buildings from the intersectiion of Grace and Harbord is it ?

Remember that at least 6 men who couldn't find it
gathered by chance at The Harbord Street Cafe,
and more could have missed Linux Cafe
without happening onto The Harbord Street Cafe.

Remember that Bell Canada said that no cafe anywhere close to Toronto
has "Linux" or "Bickford" in its name.

Jim McIntosh 416-292-8126 <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>