guru days

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 10 00:04:38 UTC 2004

At 10:10 AM 11/9/04 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:13:11 -0500, David J Patrick
><davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I don't know, but here's a thought;
> > "guru days" at linuxcaffe where we bring experts, on a regular basis, to
> > meet with the muddled masses. Maybe an install session one day, and
> > another time, the guru can bring up peoples home systems, via VPN, and
> > answer questions/ fix things, while others watch it on the projector.
> > These sessions could be filmed with multi webcams and archived for
> > reference.
> >
> > guru days, brought to you by linuxcaffe !
> >
> > (offer may contain vapourware ;)
> >
> > djp
>

>It would be cool if people set up an ssh on their home systems, then
>had the guru fix problems they had via ssh.
>

>- Adam Raymond

Just finished doing that a few days ago. That does sound like a good idea
for the meetings, too. About the only thing I miss so far with remote sessions
is for both parties to see the desktop as things are happening. I have done
multiple remote sessions on PC-Anywhere (so sorry ... Windoz) with lots
of success from W. Mississauga to Rexdale and once all the way to
Vancouver Island. You do end up having to coordinate who is using the mouse
and keyboard but otherwise, it is also a good way to train someone. You just
say "watch" and they see things happening on *their* screen.

I sure wish there was a program equivalent to that in Linux. Is there? Can VPN
come anywhere close to that? The fact that you cannot see what the other
person is doing on ssh lead me to wishing to install Gaim. So far, though, my
effort is thwarted by multiple unsatisfied dependencies (even when using
urpmi!).

Bill Mudry