text browser with tables and javascript support

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 9 20:39:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:51:10 -0500 (EST), Matthew Godycki
<mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  --- James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > If you're logged in via ssh, you can run a browser.
> > I've done that.
>
> With VNC or a client side X-server, sure.  Yet another
> option for me to explore.  I unfortunately work in the
> Win32 world =)  I'll still hope to avoid having to
> install that sort of thing at work.

No need to get VNC into the picture.  Just use an SSH tunnel to punch a hole
from your current workstation directly through to your intranet.
Given the setup that I have:
internet <--> router <--> linux box

Incoming port 22 goes straight from the internet to the linux box.  Then one
just inserts the appropriate domain names/IP addresses:
ssh -L 8080:routerinternalip:80 routerextenralip
start http://localhost:8080

PuTTY is quite capable of SSH tunnelling as well; there's no need to
go installing
OpenSSH on your windows box.

I've done something like this, though I usually just start up a copy
of squid on my
linux box at home and then tunnel to that.  This has the added advantage of
encrypting all of your web traffic, which can be particularly useful
when on unencrypted
wireless connections or other hostile environments (some offices come to mind).

--
taa
/*eof*/