Getting new members and such

Patrick patrick.bloomfield-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 9 16:58:56 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 10:13, Bill Mudry wrote:
> If a person starts with enthusiasm only to
> see that they get stuck, not able to get basic things running, that
> enthusiasm will die out quite quickly.

 Well, my own enthusiasm has not died. Rather it has been enhanced by the
possibilities I have found using SuSe 9.1  It's great to be using a stable
system, with the ability to access and save files in Linux format from the
Windows side of my laptop. Makes Windows an excellent storage cabinet.

On the other hand, my enthusiasm has been dimmed by difficulty in getting
periphals to work, which, from comments I have read, is the Achilles Heel of
this distro.

I do not think that workshops are necessarily a solution to beginners'
problems. I have found that, if I put a question online to this group,
however basic, somebody tries to help.

And I do have two more questions.

One concerns a program dowloaded from the KDE applications page called
16319-phone.pl.gz. My son has been helping me. First he downloaded the file
needed to configure my Lucent modem (it was not included in the Personal
Edition), then found that this phone program crashed my router when he tested
it remotely.

For my part, I never go it to work anyway.
Has anybody else had a similar problem?

The other question concerns my sound card, a YMF-744 B. YAST tells me that the
necessary DS-1S controlled is installed, but the only sound I get from my
speakers is a crackle. Any answers would be gratefully received.
In general, I have a suspicion that if you buy the SuSe personal edition,
which only cost me $40 (Canadian) through Amazon, you are buying the kind of
distro where you get what you pay for. Really one should have the
professional edition.

I wonder if there are any comments on that one.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Patrick Bloomfield.