Power [Mostly OT] -- resolution FYI

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 9 13:31:52 UTC 2004

On Oct 31, 2004, at 7:32 AM, phil wrote:

> Sometimes various electrical things here turn off for anywhere from an
> estimated 1/4 second to 5 seconds.  At the same time, other items on
> the same circuit keep running fine.

In case anyone experiences similar symptoms to the electrical oddities
I was describing awhile ago, here's a possibility to keep in mind.

Since I couldn't see any correlation to usage by amount or internal
location, I called Toronto Hydro and described the trouble.  They
showed up within a couple of hours.  (!!)  After checking around
outside, they said there was a problem with the neutral return where it
entered the house such that it wasn't able to carry as much power as it
should, and fixed it.  (I didn't ask about the exact flaw and fix.)

Enough time has now passed that I think I can safely say it's truly
cured.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714