Sourceforge CVS help

Srinivasan Krishnan skrishnan-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 9 11:38:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 02:36, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I was curious (okay, lazy)... I have a sourceforge project but I am
> not yet using CVS. My friend Lance helped me understand how CVS works
> but he wasn't sure how to use it specifically on SF. I am pretty sure
> that some of you here use SF so I was hoping for some advice on how to
> start using SF's CVS system. I am using Fedora Core 2 in case it helps.

First, set your CVS RSH equivalent to ssh (you might prefer to have this
in your login profile).
export CVS_RSH=ssh

CVS may then be accessed with the following command:
<action> modulename

Set <level> to the required data compression level (the -z<level> is
optional - it compresses the data transfer).  <Action> is a CVS
operation such as checkout (co), update, etc.  If you're going to
frequently access the Sourceforge CVS repository, you might want to make
the appropriate settings in your .bash_profile as follows:

CVS_RSH=ssh
CVSROOT=:ext:<you>@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/<module dir>
CVSEDITOR=<your favourite editor: default is vi>
export CVSROOT CVS_RSH CVSEDITOR

These are just the basic settings.  You can get a full list from the
documentation at http://cvshome.org/docs.

HTH,

Krishnan