Thinkfree Office on Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 8 13:25:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 11:58:11PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> I guess there are, but my impression is that there are degrees of compatability
> once you do need to read it into an MS application. Or, you have to read a .doc
> or .rtf which someone else sent you in one of these alternative applications.
> The claim with ThinkFree is that it is compatible to the point of also using
> the same file extensions. That is something that isn't the default under SO
> or others.

Extensions are just for user reference.  And openoffice does default to
.doc when saving in Word format.

Naming files does not make you compatible.  You could use the right
extensions and write completely incorrect files, while someone else uses
the "wrong" extension but writes working files.  Who is more compatible?

Lennart Sorensen