Thikfree Office on Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 8 13:15:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 12:16:01PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> This is my second attempt at posting a message to the TLUG list regarding this.
> I purchased ThinkFree Office at Office Place several days ago. While it doesn't
> work on Linux as stated, its Windows version seems to work a little better (ie,
> it executes when I click the icon).
>
> ThinkFree appears to be a new product (at least to me), although it is already
> at version 2.3. The recommended OSes are (apart from Windows and the Mac)
> RedHat, TurboLinux, and something called "Vine" Linux version 2.5.
>
> The executable is called "tfo", except that tfo doesn't seem to appear
> anywhere. There is a link to it on /usr/bin, but the target isn't there
> (apparently deep in the bowels of /usr/share/ThinkFreeOffice).
>
> I checked the rpm it came in (using rpm -qlp) and tfo doesn't appear to be
> listed there either.
>
> I am using Debian Woody (I think that is version 3), and installed it using
> alien, along with the Java runtime package. There were no errors reported by
> alien for either package.
>
> As of today, I haven't yet heard from tech support.

Remember that alien does NOT handle any pre and post install scripts.
Only the package contents.  So any symlinks and such that would
normally be created as part of installing the package are not being
created.  You may want to use rpm to extract it and look at the scripts,
unless alien has the ability to do that.

Not sure what the point in another (I assume) closed source office suite
is.

Lennart Sorensen