Linux community

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 7 19:04:04 UTC 2004

> > > The venues tend to be obscure and the
> > > agendas last minute and of narrow focus.
> > Obscure ?
>
>OK, obscure's not the right word...
>outtatheway ?
>kindahardtofind ?
>offthebeatenpath ?

Instead of just complaining, why not try to do something to change whatever
part of this you can.

> > > the
> > > computer trade
> > > rags can't find the story, 'cause, most of the time, there ain't one.
> > There are plenty of stories !
>
>You and I know that, but the mainstream press is unlikely to find these
>stories without our help.

...... so help the media know. A well written general interest article that
makes it into publication in at least one newspaper is frequently read
by other journalists in other newspapers and can spawn additional
articles. I have had it happen ;-). Also, if someone could get the interest
in coverage from Canada Press, their articles get shared across Canada
with many media.

> > > One of us should  contact LUG organizers regularly
> > > and write a monthly column called LUGnut.
> > Great idea !

Any good presentations at LUG meetings can also be good starting material
for monthly articles (as long as there are people willing to do the adaptation
to paper). In some cases, the presenters already have notes, digital slides,
etc. that would make this easy with a little editing for paper. This could vary
from a lot of how-to's to Linux program reviews and more.

Bill Mudry