Thikfree Office on Linux

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 7 17:16:01 UTC 2004

This is my second attempt at posting a message to the TLUG list regarding this.
I purchased ThinkFree Office at Office Place several days ago. While it doesn't
work on Linux as stated, its Windows version seems to work a little better (ie,
it executes when I click the icon).

ThinkFree appears to be a new product (at least to me), although it is already
at version 2.3. The recommended OSes are (apart from Windows and the Mac)
RedHat, TurboLinux, and something called "Vine" Linux version 2.5.

The executable is called "tfo", except that tfo doesn't seem to appear
anywhere. There is a link to it on /usr/bin, but the target isn't there
(apparently deep in the bowels of /usr/share/ThinkFreeOffice).

I checked the rpm it came in (using rpm -qlp) and tfo doesn't appear to be
listed there either.

I am using Debian Woody (I think that is version 3), and installed it using
alien, along with the Java runtime package. There were no errors reported by
alien for either package.

As of today, I haven't yet heard from tech support.

Paul King