Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meeting for Tuesday

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 02:08:56 UTC 2004

At 07:57 PM 11/5/04 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 15:51, Bill Mudry wrote:
> >
> > I'll have to look into it shortly. Tues. is such a short time, we'll need
> > an answer
> > soon.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, a plan to meet Tuesday at linuxcaffe was put forth,
>and only positive reactions were voiced. If that's not the case, and the
>membership as a whole would rather meet in Mississauga, then it would
>great to know that, as I'll stop scrambling to get the place ready for
>Tuesday !
>
> >  That would leave a full month to look closer for a more semi permanent
> > place for both groups for following meetings.

I am all for meetings at Linuxcaffe. It is also more central and easier to
get to
for those of us in the west than it has been. However, there is eventually
a limit
of practicality on how far people can and are willing to travel. All recent
discussions were for the formation of another complementary group for those
who find it a long ways to go to meetings as they have been.

I made a mistake on the date and Matthew corrected me. He is suggesting
December 7. I am new to both lists and all meetings, so Matthew would know
far better which nights to pick. However --- if this conflicts with meetings at
Linuxcaffe, lets all figure out a better time.

>Again, linuxcaffe would welcome monthly TLUG meetings (and NewTlug/ perl
>pals and any other OSS centric groups) We're a block from a central
>subway stop, we'll have an all-open-source network available (not ready
>for Nov 9th) and food and drink on hand.
>I'm sure that having a TWestLUG meeting spot would be great for some
>folks, but for those of us who live downtown (or the Northern Wilds)
>Christie subway is pretty darn easy.

In no way have we meant for meetings in the west end to replace the downtown
meetings. Someone coming from Kitchner, Burlington, Hamilton can find coming
all the way out to the east end of Toronto (where meetings have been) or even
Christie a long way to have to come for a few hours when travel time could
rival
that of time at the meetings ;-). This is *especially* true for those who
do not
have their own vehicle. Believe me, I know!

I have felt excited at what is forming at Linuxcaffe. I think it is all a
great idea.
Perhaps we should take care to not have meetings on the same evening so
anyone could even attend both groups if they want. We can increase our
total numbers, though, if we make it possible for people to attend meetings
over a wider geographical area.

for now,
Bill Mudry