Linux research

Mike Kallies mgjk-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 17:22:44 UTC 2004

(a server bounced this, need to configure my FQDN in my mailer Daemon)

Scott Elcomb wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 14:58, Scott Elcomb wrote:
>
>>If you think that's good...
>
> In fairness to AMR, my reaction might have been a little harsh.
>
> I do think M$ would do well to tone some of it's comments and actions
> down tho, no?

Just a note in defense of Marc, as per the FAQ, he was unsure about
whether or not he should post, so he dropped me a note before posting
his request to the list.

I noticed his address was from out of town, so I mentioned that as long
as it is specific to Linux in the Toronto area, he should be o.k..  I
usually warn people that the list is wide open to anyone and that there
is often a vocal minority in the Linux community who will object to just
about anything (hint, hint).  In this case, I mentioned that nobody ever
asked about research before, so I can't predict how people will react.

Now we could have had a democratic vote as to whether or not the request
was appropriate, but that would probably generate more traffic than the
post itself :-)

Just as an FYI, there is a fair bit of stuff which does not get through.
   Headhunters and suspicious job offers actually write me with the job
posting... when I tell them that they can't be a headhunter, and that
they should just subscribe and post.  For some reason, they ask me to
post it for them(!).   That's usually where the conversation ends.

I have to wonder what that one paragraph of the FAQ has blocked.

So, thank you Marc for subscribing and following the thread of your
research posting, and thank you Matt Moloney for doing the same with
your job posting.

-Mike

(This is the first time that two of these requests came so closely
together.  I had to do a double-take to see if they were coming from the
same company!)