Undelete for reiserfs? - I am so fired!

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 06:55:25 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 13:17, Austin wrote:

> Unmount the partition.
> Run: # reiserfsck -S /dev/hdx (whatever it is).
> This should give the file a numerical name and put it in /lost+found on
> said partition.

It's better to do:

  dd < /dev/hdx > hdx.image
  reiserfsck -S hdx.image  # (whatever it is).

This way if the recovery mucks up the filesystem you still have the pristine
disk to attempt other things with.  If you were doing this to try and recover
a failing disk I'd even keep a pristine copy of the copy since you can't be
sure of the ability to create a new copy on demand.

I've had decent results with the reiserfs rebuild command but results might
not be what you expect ... the newest files that you've just wiped out might
not be recoverable but all kinds of crap from 2 years ago will recover
perfectly.