Linux research

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 22:29:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:44, Marc-A.Meunier wrote:
> Scott,
>
> This research is NOT funded by Microsoft or any other vendor. AMR is not a MS
> partner in the sense of development partner, reselling partner or advocate.
> Microsoft is a client and so is IBM, HP, Oracle, Novell and a long list of
> others that support or distribute linux and open source software.

Fair enough.  Businesses need to operate, I can understand that.

I can't very well argue one way or the other on the funding since I know
very little about your firm and even less about what goes on inside it, but...

> I am not asking you to believe in IT research firms but if you want to know
> what AMR's position is on open source, I invite you to visit our website and do
> a search on linux. I doubt you will find much fuel to a MS conspiracy.

Considering the amount of misinformation being spread from all corners,
I hope you'll understand that if a search on Google shows the link to
Microsoft (the one I posted) on the first results page, it's likely to
catch the attention of people on LUG lists.

I have done a brief search (and also believe in research firms...
Understanding the nature of the industry is an important tool for
success in business.) and will be reading more of the articles there
when I can.

> Or come to our conference on Nov 17, and listen to our session "Proprietary
> software, open source, or both: How does my IT strategy evolve to take
> advantage of the best platform for each job in the future?" with both:
>
> Martin Taylor, General Manager, Platform Strategy, Microsoft
> and
> David Patrick, Vice Chairman and General Manager, Linux Products, Novell

If I could, I probably would.  It would be an interesting experience.

I'm not looking for a conspiracy, but it can be very difficult to
seperate the facts from apparent actions.

- Scott.

--
PGP Public Key:
1024D/98125E76 2004-03-21 Scott Elcomb (dL33T) <Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>