Hello (cbbrowne)

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 3 06:02:21 UTC 2004

> cbbrowne a virus is spamming the list pretending it's you. I got an
> email purportedly from you with an attachment called price.cpl, size
> 21935, md5sum 46bc5fb4b75f02aeb8e573bfa43a0b99 which is almost certainly a
> virus. Find out what causes this soon.

It has nothing to do with me.

Someone else reported that it was identified thusly:
Virus: W32/Bagle.bd at MM

That particular virus only affects modern Windows systems, and I haven't
got any of those to be affected.  The laptop I'm typing on is the only
hardware with a Windows install, and it's presently running FreeBSD, and
hasn't run Windows in a couple of months.

I quite regularly receive "spam viruses" (I care little of the
difference between the two) that have variations on the names of Rick
Moen (of SVLUG; he's author of the WordPerfect on Linux FAQ) and Linas
Vespas (one of the main GnuCash guys).

The _actual_ problem is almost certainly that someone on the list has
been hit by the "Bagle" virus that searches their Windows machine for
email addresses and uses those addresses as destinations.

The infection is somewhere else.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html