New to C programming...

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 2 22:22:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:01:00 -0500, William O'Higgins
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am doing my first hacking on a C program, and I could use some
> resources.  Specifically, I am looking for how to use g_print and the
> g_date functions, but in general I could use a book or ebook or website
> where I can look things up as I go.

If you're going to get started with ANSI C, you can't go wrong with looking
at Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" 2nd ed (NB: 1st ed
is pre-ANSI and generally useful as a bookshelf decoration indicating how
long you've been hacking, but is of little practical value).  There are a number
of other good books on the subject, but none are quite so elegant (short AND
complete).  It's not a tutorial, though.  I've heard good things about
older versions
of The Waite Group's "C Primer Plus", and newer versions may still be good
choices if you need more hand-holding.

However, you're talking about g_stuff, which makes me think you're using glib
or gtk or gnome (or all three).  That isn't part of the C language
itself, but rather
libraries that have been written for you to interface with.  I'd
suggest looking for
documentation at www.gnome.org.

In any case, welcome to C!

--