OT: 802.11b or Bluetooth access points in T.O.?

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 2 14:33:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:20:03 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:43:33PM -0500, Steve wrote:
> > Thanks for that tip! Not too many free places though... unless I hang
> > around the airport. Don't think security would like that too much...
> >
> > Are there any listings for bluetooth hotspots?
>
> What excactly is the range of bluetooth?  6 feet?  What would a
> bluetooth hotspot look like?  That is not what bluetooth is designed
> for.

Heh heh... I've never used BT... sorry for the stupid (or rather
uneducated) question. Is BT range really that small? I want to set up
a short-distance wireless network in my home so that with a handheld,
I can access my PC and internet. Would BT be OK for short-range like
that (less than 30')? I don't mind wi-fi, but I've found that it is a
little cheaper to get a BT-handheld than a wi-fi one.

On another note, does anyone use a USB bluetooth access point
connected to their PC running any linux distro?