apt-get segfault

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 31 23:32:40 UTC 2004

I am running Debian 3.2, kernel 2.4.18-k7

I am trying to install an ICQ application.

$ sudo apt-get install alicq
Reading Package Lists... 39%

Later it says:
Segmentation faultsts... 39%

Under /var/lib/apt, I notice a lot of files whose access times are
recent to the time the command was issued, but with many files that have
access times that are old. I get the impression that the command failed
in reading the lists in that directory before the command died.

The command fails when run as sudo and when run directly as root in a
console. The stage of "Reading Package Lists" also fails when dselect is
run.

Running /usr/bin/stat on the files which show a recent access time show
that the files have also been modified, and in some cases, changed,
during the "Reading Package Lists" stage.

Can anyone give advice here and explain what apt-get is trying to do,
and how to get out of this "segfault" problem?

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul King <pking123 at sympatico.ca>