postgres/perl, autocommit and BEGIN; COMMIT;

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 31 12:23:24 UTC 2004

> cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >
> > In many cases, it'll silently turn your data into crud on you instead of
> > raising exceptions.
>
> Our mileage has clearly varied. One place I worked had MySQL doing
> business-critical things on a very busy financial website. mysqld
> uptimes were measured in months, and there had been no data corruption
> in the four years that the system had been running.

Is that "none ever," or "none that you actually noticed?"

MySQL has a penchant for silently accepting bad data and turning it into
even worse bad data.  There are numerous examples of different ways in
which it will turn your data into crud for you.
<http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html>

There are two usual approaches for dealing with invalid input:

 1.  Throw an error back to the application, or
 2.  Take a wild guess at some alternative value, and use it instead.

If you want data integrity of your database, 1. is the right answer.
MySQL does 2.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/