Fail-over not mission critical

Robert F. Kennedy rfk-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 30 16:47:32 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am running a dns server, mail server, web server and Mailman on a
computer at my home with Istop as my provider to provide these services
for a non-profit. The load is very light and if things went down for a
day or so it would not be the end of the world. However, I have a backup
computer that I would like to set up to be a mirror of my main box so
that should a crash occur I could just start up the second box.

The main computer is running RedHat Linux 9 updated, the backup machine
is 9 too but has not been updated and does not have Mailman installed. I
am wondering what approach some of you would take to create a backup
scenario for a situation like this. I have read about the rsync command
and this sounds perfect but I'm not sure if I'd have to get the backup
machine updated and installed with Mailman first or not. My preference
would be to just keep it as simple as possible. You all helped me set up
my dns service a few months back and everything has been working like a
charm ever since.

Thanks for any pointers,
Robert

Robert F. Kennedy