Fouled-up smtp...

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 29 19:00:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 14:24, William Park wrote:

> > > Now you know.  Switch back.
> >
> > That is the best joke I heard this month. Suse and a couple other distros
> > come with Postfix MTA as default for a reason.
>
> Like?  Sendmail vs Postfix vs Qmail is like Vi(m) vs Emacs vs Pico.

Definitely.  MTAs seems to be just about as contentious (amongst people
who care) as any of the holy wars.  For the most part I've found peoples
preferences to be based on what they learned first.  Perhaps the moral
is configuring MTAs is so painful you only want to learn to do it once
and refuse to believe that any other piece of software might have been
easier or better :)

That said, I do think that Sendmail is more intimidating to learn than
some of the other mailers.  Particularly if you don't know SMTP inside
and out when you start.  The Sendmail config file is just terrifying at
first look.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>