postgres/perl, autocommit and BEGIN; COMMIT;

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 27 19:18:10 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I was playing more with trying to get the database performance up
when I realised that I needed to "COMMIT" to aply the updates. Realising
this I decided to turn postgres' 'autocommit' back off and instead use
"BEGIN/COMMIT" only on the large SELECT/INPUT/UPDATE section. The
problem though is that no matter what I seem to try perl throws an empty
error (generic software error) whenever this call is made
($db->do("BEGIN") || die "$DBI::errstr";).

   If I go directly into postgres and issue the same command it works
fine. I've looked at the O'Reilley "Programming the Perl DBI" book and
it has stuff on autocommit but it either doesn't say what I am supposed
to do or I am too daft/tired to get it. Has anyone run into this before?
Since turning autocommit back off my test submit of ~2,400 entires has
gone up from ~21 seconds to ~99 seconds... That is a frustrating
development, too say the least.

   Thank you all again!

Madison