Postgres/Perl performance help needed

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed May 26 03:25:54 UTC 2004

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> If you're running a modern version of PostgreSQL, running pg_autovacuum
> would solve the need to periodically run ANALYZE to keep table
> statistics up to date, and to clean out dead tuples via VACUUM.  If
> that's not readily available, it's a good idea to run VACUUM ANALYZE on
> this table every few thousand updates, as your processing will be
> generating lots of garbage, as well as changing the statistics.

Woops, I meant to mention that a little earlier in the evening I in fact
did set the database to VACUUM ANALYZE and that is what helped let me
start properly benchmarking because my results finally became stable. I
run it after it exists the subroutine that performs all of the 'ls' calls.

Madison

PS - Marcus and Stewart; Thank you for your tips, too! They require more
reading so I will implement them tomorrow and report back on my results. :)